Did you know primary producers are eligible for a number of tax rebates for undertaking landcare operations?
You can claim this deduction for capital expenditure you incur on a landcare operation* for land in Australia in the year it is incurred if you are a:
• primary producer
• business using rural land for a taxable purpose, except when mining or quarrying
• rural land irrigation water provider if your expenditure incurred on or after 1 July 2004
As if that wasn’t good enough news, our eastern states friends the Basalt to Bay Landcare Network, have been working closely with the Australian Taxation Office to produce simple, easy to read guides to help farmers get the rebates they are entitled to for undertaking landcare operations.
There are four fact sheets covering the below topics:
• Fire Preparedness and Prevention
• Landcare and Similar expenses
• Tree Farming and Forestry
The fact sheets explain what you can and cannot claim, and explain the different circumstances when you can claim an immediate deduction, or alternatively if you can claim a decline in value.
For more information about the factsheets please visit https://www.basalttobay.org.au/interest-areas/tax-rebates
*What is a Landcare Operation?
A landcare operation is one of the following operations:
- when primarily and principally
- eradicating or exterminating animal pests from the land
- eradicating, exterminating or destroying plant growth detrimental to the land
- preventing or combating land degradation other than by the use of fences
- erecting fences to keep out animals from areas affected by land degradation to prevent or limit further damage and assist in reclaiming the areas
- constructing drainage works to control salinity or assist in drainage control
- erecting fences to separate different land classes in accordance with an approved land management plan
- constructing a levee or similar improvement
- for expenditure incurred on or after 1 July 2004, a structural improvement or an alteration, addition, extension or repair to a structural improvement that is reasonably incidental to the construction of a levee or drainage works.