This Sunday the Northern Agricultural Catchments Council (NACC) is hosting A Dog’s Breakfast as part of the celebrations for National Bird Week.
Pooches and their owners are invited to come down to Point Moore in Geraldton to learn more about responsible dog management on beaches, and to enjoy a free cooked brekkie courtesy of the Lion’s Club of Geraldton.
NACC Coastal & Marine Officer Vanessa McGuiness said the main purpose of this event is to provide useful information to local dog owners about what wildlife uses our beaches – such as our disappearing migratory shorebirds – and how to help keep them safe while still having fun on the beach.
“These shorebirds have flown more than 12,000km from the Arctic to feed on our beaches and now need to rest and save their energy as they regain their strength (almost doubling their body weight) for the long flight back next year,” said Vanessa.
The Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) is just one of the shorebirds that takes a much-needed rest-and-recovery break on Geraldton’s Beaches. Their plumage blends in perfectly with the beach wrack and natural surrounds – which is both an advantage (to avoid detection by predators) and a disadvantage (easy to stumble- or drive-over).
All participants are invited to enjoy the free cooked brekkie – which will be served from 9am* – and tea and coffee can be purchased from the Lions Club.
What’s on during the event!
- Discover how you can get involved with Birdlife Midwest-Geraldton bird-watchers.
- Learn about local wildlife from the legends at WA Parks & Wildlife.
- Chat to friendly volunteers from Geraldton Dog Rescue about adopting a dog.
- Watch the demonstration by Tracking Dogs Geraldton.
- Get FREE doggie dental checks from Central Regional TAFE.
- Get your dog’s nails clipped – for a Gold coin donation to Empawrium.
- Go in the draw for the RAFFLE: Mega dog food pack donated by Geraldton Pet Meat Supplies.
- Win PRIZES: Join the obedience competition to be eligible for the great prizes.
*Breakfast for dogs and dog owners until supplies run out.
More information contact Vanessa McGuiness at Vanessa.McGuiness@nacc.com.au or 9938 0108
NACC’s support for Dog’s Breakfast events is made possible through funding from the Australian Government’s National Landcare Program.