Photo-monitoring is an effective way to document environmental change over time, thereby providing historical information to aid decision-making by resource managers.
- Get the Photomon App
- Browse NACC Photomon Sites Map
Photomon is a smartphone application that has been designed to improve the quality of data collected by environmental photo-monitoring programs. The app has been developed by the NACC with funding from Coastwest.
One of the simplest and unambiguous ways to detect environmental change is by taking regular photos of exactly the same place over time. Photo-monitoring can be used to document change for a wide range of studies; from seasonal growth of algae in a rock pool to the effects of grazing on vegetation over a broad, sweeping landscape.
Photomon incorporates features aimed at simplifying the photo-monitoring process and increasing its accuracy. Extensive testing shows the app addresses many of the issues arising from the use of digital cameras for photo-monitoring. It is also useful for streamlining processes for volunteers and managers.
The app improves the quality of photo monitoring data by:
- Overlayed transparent reference photos for consistent FOV’s;
- Automatic labelling and uploading of monitoring photos using cellular network or wifi;
- Allowing much program coordination to occur via the database,
- Reminder function to prompt the next photo.
Photomon will be useful for coastal and land managers who are looking to develop their own environmental photo-monitoring programs. It has flexible options for a range of photo-monitoring uses:
- “Demo” mode allows the app to operate as a stand-alone tool suitable for use by individuals and small groups;
- NACC currently operates Photomon configured to a dedicated database which is administered by the app developer. Third parties wishing to use Photomon with the same database can enter into a financial arrangement with the app developer to provide the service. Please contact NACC for further details;
- Photomon is covered by the GNU General Public License and as such can be altered to facilitate connection to a different database, please contact NACC for further information.